If you want to choose a new doctor to be your primary care provider (PCP), you can:
- Search for primary care providers near you at Find a primary care provider
- Ask friends and family to suggest providers
- Ask other medical professionals such as your dentist or pharmacist to suggest providers
- Visit the provider’s website
- Check the office address to see if it is easy to get to
- Call the office to see:
- Which health plans they accept
- How long it takes to get an appointment
- If the staff is friendly and helpful
- If the office hours work for you
- If the provider speaks your language and meets any special needs
- Which hospitals they use and if you can get there easily
Also, think about your answers to these questions:
- Do you want a PCP close to your home or work?
- Is the PCP's office close to public transportation, or is there enough parking?
- Are you more comfortable with a male or female PCP?
Once you know the PCP you want, choose a plan that works with that PCP. To see if your PCP choice is in one of the health plans, go to Find a primary care provider.